Tuesday 9 October 2012

Steampunk accessories...

I discovered these fantastic optical lenses a while back and now trying to make up three steampunk costumes for my son, daughter and his girlfriend I thought Aha!...

Hmm...
Okay I'm not a metal worker so how to capture these lenses so I could use them?
Well on the first one I just treated it as a loose stone or cab and made a circle from bracelet bars which I then wire wrapped between to trap the lens.
 This makes a pendant style lens that you can just lift up and peer through to inspect objects...kind of Aunt Agatha style.

For the next piece I wanted something more complicated, so I wrapped wire around the outside edge, secured with a dab of jewellery glue and combined with a camera lens from an old 35mm, some feathers, beads and a bit of umbrella mechanism to make what is a huge brooch...
Because there is some movement in the umbrella bit it lifts up off the shoulder again to be peered through.
I will upload pics of it being worn once the costumes are done!

I have lots of these lenses and if you fancy giving it a go at making something yourself there are some in my etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/domesticsabotage 
I have some matching pairs and I really want to make a pair of goggles...or see someone have a go.
If you do make something from them I would love to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment