Sunday 7 October 2012

Table Transformation
I thought I would share with you the story of  this little table and how it came to be transformed into something new. Here it is in its original hideous form.
I discovered this little beauty - and really the photo doesn't do it justice - hidden in a junk shop corner. The top is a huge chequerboard effect in bright blue and white thick gloss paint - then oh yes to make it complete - they applied thick canvas roses covered over with thick yellowing polyurethane varnish...mmmm
However, I really liked the shape, particularly the legs and if ever a piece has cried out save me this is it.

You know those times when you decide to do something and then figure out uh...oh this might be more than I bargained for?

Um...now I've got to get off all that hideous paint...ooops

Like all good heroines though I was in for a stroke of luck, in hefting off the canvas flowers with a paint scraper I discovered the paint simply came away too...now I loved the table.

But what to do on the top? It wasn't a great finish having languished under all that for years so I decided this was an opportunity to use a fabric covering. Step up a lovely cotton lawn I've been hanging onto for years but never found a project to match...
Its too busy for me to use for clothing, but too lightweight for upholstery type projects...perfect.
I'm pretty sure It was a Liberty fabric, but over the years bits have been purloined off the sides by my kids for projects and that part of the selvedge has vanished along with the name.

Next a paint to match hmm...I didn't want to use the duck egg as its too light, or the khaki/gold as its too bleurgh...I'm just not a khaki person. So I plumped for a nice deep periwinkle blue to pick up the deeper blue flowers.

I'm really pleased with the outcome, I think it looks rather fab and pretty, without being sugary sweet - which I detest...
What do you think...

More pics (and table for sale) on my Etsy listing

No comments:

Post a Comment